My guest today is Dr. Michael Thompson. Michael has worked as a clinical psychologist and consultant for over fifty (50!) years and is a world-renowned authority on the subjects of children, schools, and parenting.
He’s authored 10 books focusing on the emotional lives of boys and has helped countless parents ease the tensions that arise in their relationships with their children.
In our conversation we dig into:
- Different parenting styles & how to determine which one’s best for your kid.
- How to help your kids open up by asking the right questions.
- How kids are more capable than we think they are.
- How valuable it is for them to spend some time away from you.
My favorite moments from our conversation:
- Having conversations, not debates, with your kid.
- How imposing your dreams on your child can backfire.
- Why parents misunderstand how their children learn about violence.
- The perfect age for letting them go to summer camp.
- How summer camps can be life-changing for your kids and tips for choosing the right one for yours.
Michael Thompson Links & Other Resources
- Michael G. Thompson, Ph.D.
- Follow Michael Thompson on Facebook
- Homesick and Happy by Michael Thompson
- Raising Cain by Michael Thompson
- The Pressured Child by Michael Thompson
- Raising Cain: Exploring the Inner Lives of America’s Boys
- American Camp Association
Michael Thompson Bio
Michael G. Thompson has worked for over 50 years as a consultant, author, and psychologist specializing in children and families. He has worked in more than seven hundred schools across the United States and international schools in Central America, Europe, Africa, and Asia.
He’s authored ten books, including the New York Times best-seller Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys and Homesick and Happy: How Time Away From Parents Can Help a Child Grow.
Michael has appeared on The Today Show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, ABC 20/20, CBS 60 Minutes, The Early Show, and Good Morning America. He has been quoted in the New York Times, The Washington Post, Newsweek, Time, and U.S. News and World Report.
He wrote, narrated, and hosted a two-hour PBS documentary entitled “Raising Cain” broadcast nationally in 2006.
He has been married for 42 years and is a father of two grown children and a grandfather of three.
Want to learn more about Front Row Dads?
We are in the business of building better families.
While most dads would say that family matters most, the challenge is they feel guilty knowing their careers get the best of them, and their family seems to get the rest of them.
We help Dads become family men with businesses, not businessmen who have families, so they can thrive personally AND professionally.
Subscribe to the Front Row Dad podcast to learn about fatherhood, marriage and how to level up your game at home, or if you’re ready for the best coaching and true brothers to grow with, Join The Brotherhood.
If you would like a transcript of the show please email firstname.lastname@example.org