Nir Eyal is a superhuman who writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business. He’s been with his wife for 18 years, and has a beautiful teenage daughter.
Nir founded two tech companies since 2003 and has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford. He is the author of the bestselling book, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life.
In addition to blogging at NirAndFar.com, Nir’s writing has been featured in The Harvard Business Review, TechCrunch, and Psychology Today.
In this episode, Nir is going to talk about the psychology behind distraction, why we don’t do the things we know we should do, and how to make time for traction and plan your day with intent.
- What do we mean by the word distraction?
- Why all behavior is stimulated by desire to escape discomfort – mastering internal triggers and understanding the reasons for your distraction.
- How to deal with external triggers, particularly the stuff you can’t plan for.
- How to keep on the same page with your wife and kids, and what does an indistractable home environment look like?
- The difference between distraction and diversion – incorporating spontaneity into your schedule.
“There is no distraction that we cannot defeat by planning ahead.” – Nir Eyal
- Nir Eyal – Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
- Nir Eyal’s Blog and Website
- Other Useful Resources for Managing Distraction
- Self-Determination Theory
- Schedule Marker Tool
- Distraction Guid
- Habits vs routines article
JOIN THE BROTHERHOOD
Join the Front Row Dads private Facebook community so you can ask questions, share ideas, and be part of a supportive group of incredible brothers who help one another navigate the role of marriage and fatherhood.
LEAVE A REVIEW
If you’ve listened to multiple Front Row Dads interviews and get value from the show, we’d love your support! Leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts only takes a minute, and in turn, it allows us to rank higher and become discovered by other Dads, just like you. Visit FrontRowDads.com/review and tell others what you think about the show!
Read The Full Transcript